When does child support and alimony start?


Child support and maintenance (alimony) can be ordered early in a divorce case.  After your attorney has filed the case and your spouse has filed an Appearance, either party may move the court to set temporary support, which will likely include temporary child support.


A temporary child support figure can be obtained by court order usually within 60 days of filing a case.


At hearing or by agreement, a temporary child support obligation will be set and withheld from the obligor’s income.  Later in the case, or at trial, an ultimate support amount will calculated and the withholding amount will change accordingly.


The sooner a case is filed, the sooner a child support obligation can be set by court order.  Delay will only postpone a court order instructing the obligor’s employer to withhold the support.  Support is sent to the county’s disbursement office and then sent to the custodial parent.


Many people wonder about the delay of time between when child support is withheld and when it is recieved.  Usually, the delay is only about three to four days.  Years ago many problems plagued the system; however, now you can expect to receive your check within a few days from the time it is withheld.




To immediately speak with Paul Nordini, please call


(480) 527-9000